CALL TO ACTION IN VANCOUVER
PROTEST IN FRONT OF GREEK CONSULATE
We will be delivering letter to the consul and petition signatures collected from rally yesterday
WHEN: Monday 4 July 2011 – 12 noon
WHERE: Greek Consulate
688 W Hastings (near Granville)
Vancouver, BC V6B 1P1
Greek Consulate: (604) 681-1381
The blockade of the Freedom Flotilla II continues
We continue our resolve to break the blockade of the flotilla and Gaza non-violently!
The “Tahrir” is still blocked by Greek authorities from leaving port although all papers are in order. You can see the action on the ground here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=375t8FQFxhE
The delegates from the U.S. boat have now started an open-ended fast at U.S. Embassy in Athens.
A march in support of the flotilla has been organized by Greek activists who have been protesting the government’s austerity measures in Syntagma Square. The march will include a demand on the Greek government to let all of the boats in the Freedom Flotilla 2 sail to Gaza and to free the captain of the U.S. ship, who has been held in jail.
This all suggests that the flotilla continues under a blockade and that we must continue and strengthen our actions.
Our message to the Greek government
– The Greek government needs to know that world public opinion does not want them to succumb to Israel’s coercion. Tell the Greek government they must let the Tahrir go on our mission to break the illegal blockade of Gaza. They have a responsibility to allow this, in both domestic and international law.
· We will work to end the blockade no matter where it is enforced – be it in Gaza, in International waters or in Greece.
· The “Tahrir” and the whole of the Freedom Flotilla 2 is already making a difference in weakening the Blockade. We shall continue to break the blockade totally.
· We have broadened support for the Flotilla globally. Greek civil society, even with all the challenges they are facing have committed to supporting the Flotilla and holding the Greek government accountable for their actions.
· We shall continue educating and bringing people to action and knowledge about the illegal actions of Israel. We expect the Greek government to do the same.
· We shall continue bringing loudly to the world the truth of the experience and realities of the people of Gaza and Palestine. We expect the Greek government to do the same.
· We demand that the Greek Government let all our boats sail to Gaza.
· We will demand that the Canadian government and all other governments stand on the side of human rights and international law by putting pressure on the Greek government.
· We expect the Greek authorities to “STAY HUMAN”, as the name of our flotilla calls for.
Further contact info for the Greek Embassy (you can phone in):
Greek Embassy, OTTAWA http://www.greekembassy.ca
76- 80 Maclaren Street
Canada K2P OK6
Tel: (613) 238-6271(3)
Fax: (613) 238-5676
Press Office: (613) 232-6796
*Please circulate widely*
Peace Picnic to Support the Canadian Boat to Gaza
Wednesday July 6, 11:30am – 1:30pm
As you may well know the people of Gaza are currently under siege by an Israeli blockade which makes their daily survival very difficult. A number of courageous people from around the world- as part of the Freedom Flotilla II stay human campaign- have put themselves on the line in an attempt to break this blockade and deliver much needed supplies to Gaza.
Their mission is both humanitarian and political. The Israeli blockade amounts to a collective punishment of Gaza’s 1.5 million population. The Canadian Boat to Gaza is currently in Greece and is being held up by Greek authorities. The US boat to Gaza is also being held up and the Captain has been arrested for attempting to set sail.
The crews of the Freedom Flotilla II campaign are committed to non-violently confront the blockade and to continue to work to see its end! In support of these brave people and on behalf of all the men, women and children of Gaza let us gather and show our support for their courage.
PEACE PICNIC! Bring some food to share! Bring an instument to play! Or just come and show your support! (If you make your own signs please keep the focus on Support for the Canadian boat to Gaza, free Gaza or Support for the Freedom Flotilla II)
When: Wednesday July 6th at 11:30am – 1:30pm
Where: Seaforth Peace Flame Park (South end of the Burrard Street Bridge)
Not only is the Israeli blockade cruel it is also illegal. For more info visit www.tahrir.ca